Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio
951 Chicago Avenue, Oak Park built 1889-1898
Wright started building this shingle sided home in 1889 with a $5,000.00 loan from his employer Louis Sullivan. The house was expanded with the addition of a kitchen and a playroom in 1893. The adjacent studio with its drafting room and library was completed in 1898. Wright lived in the house until 1909 when he left for europe. In 1911 the studio and garage were converted into apartments. Wright sold the property in 1925.
The property has been restored to reflect the condition it was in during Wright's last year in residence, 1909. The Home & Studio was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 and an Oak Park landmark in 1996.
The Home & Studio are open for public tours by the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust.