William Winslow knew Wright from business with Adler and Sullivan. He was in the ornamental iron business and his firm had done the facade on the Carson Pirie Scott building for Wright's previous employer. Adler and Sullivan were not interested in performing residential architectural assignments so Winslow turned to Wright.
Built on a private street on the Edward Waller estate. The Winslow House was to be Wright's first important independent commission and his first attempt at reinventing the traditional house.
In 1893 the Winslow house was a marked departure from the traditional homes in the Oak Park/River Forest area. The walls made from Roman brick rise straight up from a cast stone coping. The second story is covered in terracotta. The masonry elements are in the style of Louis Sullivan. The windows rise from sill to soffit. The broad-eaved hip roof projects out over the second story windows. The chimney is long and low. At the rear of the house is a stable/studio that in early years had a tree growing through the roof. The design was so unusual that Winslow stopped commuting on his usual train to avoid his neighbors comments.
Winslow was also the owner of the Auvergne Press which he operated out of the studio. Auvergne Press was the publisher of The House Beautiful by William C. Gannet.